Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Ultimate Rupture

The shreds of my Torn Canvas have finally disappeared under a deluge of thoughts. Thoughts that have burst out in a torrential stream after being repressed for so long. With the gurgling sounds of this cascade, I can hear the melancholy notes of a song. A song of deliverance for a part of me that has been caged . A song of wistful farewell to a part of my identity that will now sink into eternal obscurity. A song portending a split that has always been on the cards- the cracks aren't visible anymore. The rupture is complete. Between the expectations from a not-so-distant-anymore destiny and the fears of a crushingly unavoidable fate. Between whispered words of faith and harsh tones divining certain failure. Between cold reason and my inner voice. Between buoyant hopes and sunken fears.
Yes. The rupture has happened. The rupture of the rhapsody that is me.
I can finally see the torn out canvas shreds floating serenely on this river-cleansed of its paints. A blank canvas again- but how did it become whole? . In a trance, I lift my brush again. The ghosts of washed-out colours don't leer at me mockingly from the faded canvas.

After all the rupture has happened. The rupture of the rhapsody- that was me.

6 comments:

Sap said...

Ah! at last! thus she writes!

ramya kumar said...

hehe. it s only 11 days(between my last two posts.) of course your comment can also be interpreted in another light :)

ruk said...

didn't totally get that.. end of writer's block or the beginning or nothing to do with writer's block?

Anonymous said...

ummm...seems to me all EPC secretaries write morbidly...are you carrying on a legacy?

ramya kumar said...

@ruk : there are other kinds of blocks. 'writer's block' is probably the easiest to get rid of...

@jay : from what i know about the writing styles of Vivek and Warrier, they are capable of sounding cheerful when they want to. sigh. as long as the morbidity doesn't leak into editorials, it's fine. this morbid strain has persisted in my writing for nearly three years now- despite my attempts to brush it off.

Anonymous said...

vivek - yes, when it's about an inane car racing game on the computer.

warrier - huh? cheerful? yeah, maybe in a masochistic sense.